The Pottery Supply House (PSH) in Oakville, Ontario was founded in 1958 by Jorgen Poschmann to meet the needs of potters and clayworkers for clay, glaze, raw materials, kilns and equipment. Jorgen's partner, Graham Willis, joined the company in 1961 and the company was incorporated in 1964. PSH has been an important part of the Canadian ceramic and commercial pottery industry ever since.
Today, ownership has passed to a new generation, who remain committed to providing the best new products and services to potters and sculptors. The current generation of owners, Eric Poschmann, Gunnar Poschmann and Jeremy Willis, continue to work to fulfill the changing needs of modern potters. At the same time, PSH expertise is being applied to many new industrial and R&D applications.
PSH provides a complete range of supplies and equipment to potters from their primary location in Oakville, Ontario, Canada and from S&S Pottery Supplies in Kitchener, Ontario. They produce their own clay bodies and glazes, and carry a full line of tools, raw materials, books and equipment.
PSH also manufactures "Euclid Kilns" and "Euclid's Elements". They build top and front loading kilns for pottery, glass, enamelling and many other applications. They make elements for all kilns, including custom, and supply parts and service for all makes of kilns and equipment. Additionally, PSH manufactures kilns and furnaces for a wide variety of industrial uses, and are a respected source for a wide variety of related products. PSH has been successful in responding to a wide range of heat process requirements in industry, some far removed from traditional ceramics.
Product innovation and adaptability are central themes at PSH. While expansion to serve the needs of other industries has become a major instrument for steady growth, PSH is committed, first and foremost, to developing and seeking out improved products and services for clayworkers and glassworkers. As testament to the company’s dedication to clay and glass artists in Canada, PSH maintains an expanding collection of pottery, sculpture and glasswork which can be seen in the company showroom. The Pottery Supply House is also an active supporter of organizations and events that promote clay and glass, including Craft Ontario.
The Pottery Supply House Clay or Glass Supply Grant provides funds for students or emerging craft professionals to purchase equipment and/or materials to establish their studios.
The Craft Awards program is able to take place on an annual basis through the valued support of many generous donors and sponsors. Our thanks go to the following organizations, businesses and individuals: Gladstone House, The Pottery Supply House, Tuckers Pottery Supplies Ltd., FUSION: the Ontario Clay and Glass Association, Lacy West Supplies. Ltd., as well as members and friends of the Mather, Farndale, Copeland, Walker, Gregor, McPherson, and Yung families.
Then and now: PSH operated out of "The Granary" on the banks of the Sixteen MileCreek in the heart of Oakville in the 1960's. Today, the PSH building and showroom is found at 1120 Speers Road, Oakville, ON.